THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

With Chair Tests In Band, All You Need Is Patience And Practice

I play the trombone in my seventh grade band class with my wierd, yet funny band teacher. We've had a series of chair tests in band. The first time we had a chair test, I did a pretty good job. I got second chair, while Mr. 1st Chair got first chair (Hence his name). It was a pretty easy test actually. Well, anyway, this second test came 'round and this is where most of us failed. I practiced THAT ONE SONG for an hour the night before (Procrastination... I hate it...) the test, and Mr. 1st Chair DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT IT, and he still got a higher chair than me. That time he got second chair, so he's now officially Mr. 2nd Chair, and the new Mr. 1st Chair is one of the baritone players, while I became Miss Third Chair (I'm more important 'cuz I'm the only REAL girl lower brass player, so my name gets to be SPELLED out. My friend Autumn is the other lower brass girl, but she plays the bari sax, which is the next saxophone after tenor) and now we have a new playing test coming up. The test is on the 15th, and Mr. Band Teacher told us to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! He also told all of us to look at the song and try playing it on our day off, Groundhogs Day, and Super Bowl Sunday. Not gonna happen. But still, I did manage to practice that song for 20 out of 30 minutes spent practicing my trombone yesterday (Something I should do WAY more often then I do) And after practicing it a couple times, I was as good at it as the other song during the test, so I think I'll do better or this test then the last one. Imagine that. What a little practice and patience can do.

Patience can't be acquired overnight. It is just like building up a muscle. Every day you need to work on it.- Eknath Easwaran

2 comments:

Gina said...

Great quote! I'm glad you are feeling more positive about practicing now. Oh.. and don't tell Autumn you are the only REAL girl.. she might take offense to that... you are the only REAL LOWER BRASS player who is a girl. ;-) (mom's are sooooo picky about words)

Taylor said...

yeah, you are picky!I said "lower brass player" after girl, so I did NOT call Autumn a boy.